Monday, April 23, 2007

Tha Getaway...

Yea, I know it's long overdue, but I finally decided to stop being lazy and get the pics of tha getaway developed. So here's the entry you peeps have been bugging me for...


Friday 13.

Omg la, I tell you, Friday the 13th really lived up to it's so called reputation of misfortunes and bad luck. We headed out to the crap budget airlines in the early afternoon as our flight was supposed to be at 1.40pm. How were we to know that the cabbie would take us via some funky route, with lots of turnings and passing kampungs to get to the air terminal. He claims it's a shortcut too. In the cab...

Tim - I'm not going mention your name, and put your alias as 'TB'.

TB - What? Total Bitch?!

Tim - Travel Buddy la! Total bitch pulak...

TB - Lol! Oh! Sorry ya :p

And as you can guess, we arrived 10 minutes late and rushed to the check in counter. The dude sitting there refused us entry even if we did persist with our argument that no one's boarding the plane yet and the fact that he was still sitting there. Still no luck, so we headed off to the information counter. Turns out this budget airline is pretty shrewd in making money. Granted that it's our fault for being late, but to buy a new ticket to get to our destination? C'mon man... at least give us a discount or something... Our budget just went to hell right there and then.

Ok fine, we'll have to get a later flight which was at 3.40pm. So we just roamed the airport looking for a place to chill.


Tim - What the heck are we gonna do for over an hour?

TB - I don't know. Let's look for some place to have a

Tim & TB - COFFEE BEAN!


Yes, we lamed at coffee bean for an hour or so till we could check in for our next flight. No way we're going to be late this time!

So when we finally managed to check in and head to the waiting lounge, we find out that our plane had been delayed. Nice... Thinking of our timing, at this rate we were sure to miss the last boat to tha getaway.

The flight left at 4.30pm. We arrived around 5.15pm. Run Run Run to the cabbies! No time to pick up my cigars! No time to bargain for cab fare! Run Run Run to catch the boat!

Hello Kelantan!




1 hour to get to the jetty, and we were right, missed the last boat out. Any chance of getting on the island tonight was flushed down the toilet when we found that it would be RM250 for one way to charter a boat out at that time. Krayzie I tell you! So we had to stay in a motel.

Well how bad could it be? Just stay over the mainland for a night and catch the early boat out. Spoke too soon we did. Motels we tried were fully booked. After a bit of walking we finally found one which wasn't fully occupied, but a little expensive.

I think telling the receptionist our sad tale worked. She gave us a discount for a standard room, and then upgraded us to a deluxe room while maintaining the standard room price. Finally a lucky break. Off to dinner shortly after and when we got back to our room and I was so longing for a shower after the long day.

Tim - Yo! Come check this out.

*TB runs into the toilet*

TB - What? What?

Tim - Check out the lock on the door...

TB - Why? Just lock it la.

*She proceeds to show me how to lock the door*

Tb - There, can lock wut.



Tim - Okay... But the door opens this way...
*Pulls door*



TB - OMG! HAHAHAHAHA!

Whoever placed that latch there is either damn stupid, or had brilliant intentions :p

When we we're trying to get some rest, music started playing outside our window. We went to have a look and found that our window overlooked this courtyard looking area. AND THEY WERE HAVING A PERFORMANCE THERE TONIGHT! So much for rest, eh. I don't know what's the attraction. The people who were singing sounded like they were in pain and later on, they played TECHNO! WTF!! Several speeches, kompang beats and probably even dancing it finally ended. Eventually we managed to get some sleep around 12am.


Friday 14.

Now since we had to take the 7am boat out, this means we had to get up around 6ish am. WHO THE HELL GETS UP AT 6AM WHEN THEY ARE ON HOLIDAY!!! But still, we just had to if we were to make it to the island early.

Managed to drag our lazy arses out of bed and made way to the jetty. And after a half hour boat ride, FINALLY... I AM THERE!

Hello Getaway!



We had to laze about a bit because since it was so early, and decided to have breakfast before looking for accommodation. Just a word of advise, beer and eggs don't mix. Ask the Travel Buddy.

We managed to find a place, even if we did have to walk a fair bit, but we had a pretty decent view I reckon...



Not too bad, eh? I had to inspect the room since TB has this constant fear of gecko's. Found one just outside the toilet and got rid of it before we settled to unpack our stuff.

During lunch we were pondering what we can do for a whole day since we already wasted half a day on the mainland. The suggestion of snorkeling came about. Why not I guess, not like I've gone it a million times.

Our lunch spot.



I would love to have taken a few pics of them Black Tipped Sharks (that what they're called?) and them turtles. But they just swam by too fast to even focus properly. Nothing much to take in the first location. Here are some snorkeling pics anyway.




The second location was supposed to have loads of turtles. And true enough I could see them from the surface. Being a little tired from swimming about in the first location. I told our guide to go in first and I would join him shortly. So into the blue he went and just as quickly... out. Asked why he jumped out so fast he replied... "Jellyfish".

Ok, so much for diving with the turtles. Next location please.

Our next and last location was apparently a popular snorkling spot. And TB delighted in feeding the fishes.



After some assurance that they don't bite, I jumped right in. Swimming with the fishes was fun.



Hello Timmy!



Undersea dance.



And while in the water, I felt something hit my back... Saw the fishes swarm all over me... biting and cutting... I raised my head above the water and knew immediately what had happened. TB and the guide were laughing on the boat. Them monkeys threw bread on me! I got out of the water with a few bite marks and an inch long cut on my arm.

After heading back to the beach TB wanted to just soak in the sun. And so we just lazed on the beach for a good couple of hours at least. Loads of eye candy for us too. Them topless sunbathers... Mmm... :D

Where we (or rather I) burned. We were so tight on funds we even had to bargain to rent the brellies.



Headed back to our room for some rest, but not before some huge ass monitor lizard decided to surprise us by scurrying across the path we were on. Even stopped to look back for a while. And everytime we took that path we saw it. I happen to like reptiles. They freak Travel Buddy out tho.

Dinner was a pretty quiet affair. We had Blue Marlin and Barracuda for dinner. Tasty, but a little tough. Bought a bottle of wine as well to indulge. And chatted with a few of the islanders and more drinks before calling it a night. How I wanted a cigar then...

The night sky was just simply awesome btw. I haven't seen so many starts in years. Just imagine diamonds spread all over a wide black cloth. Clear and endless from the beach where I sat and had a few thoughts. The waves sounded so soothing as well. I would have loved to spend the night on the beach if the morning promised not to fry my ass.

TB was a little tipsy so she doesn't recall smacking, kicking and punching me in her sleep or nagging me to off the air conditioning after she stole the whole blanket away from me. At least she didn't throw me off the bed. My attempts to fool her, saying that she was really drunk and running along the beach topless didn't work.

Friday 15.

We were quite reluctant to get out of bed as it was rather early. But we had to catch the 12pm boat out of the island, and thought that we'd make use of the time left we had on the island. Or so we thought.

Breakfast, chit chat and reading took up most of our morning and before you know it we were packed and ready to head back.

Goodbye :(



The boat ride back was awesome. I swear that the boat was faster than the one we came in. TB kept hiding behind me because she was afraid of getting wet. But I was having an awesome time. Flying over waves with the sea air in my hair.

And so back on the mainland, we got a cab and headed to the airport.

Tim - You'd think they'd just round up the cab fare to a nice number like RM70...

TB - Why la?

Tim - The current cab fare is quite the bad shape.

TB - RM67?

Tim - Luk chat, lol.

TB - HAHAHA!

So at the airport, our flight was supposed to be at 3.10pm. At 3pm... TB receives a text message...


"URGENT! Budget Airlines Flight bla bla bla from Kota Bharu to Kuala Lumpur on 15 April is now retimed to 6.10pm. For more info please call bla bla bla our airline sucks."


OMG! I went up to the information counter.

Tim - Excuse me, we just got this text regarding our flight. Apparently it has been delayed.

Counter Guy - Ya.

Tim - So we have to wait for 3 hours?

Counter Guy - Ya.

Tim - You dumbass motherfucker! You can't stop fucking us over with delayed flights and can't you fucking think of another answer and be more fucking helpful instead of just replying to me "ya?". Just die motherfucker!

No of course I didn't say that. Even if I very much wanted to...

So here I am thinking "Oh no la... What the fuck am I going to do for 3 hours in a Kelantan airport!??"

I shall just sit and read in the really uncomfortable chairs they have there. That's what and all I could do. I'm not going to even bother to complain about the flight anymore, or put up the pic I took of a guy who was snoring next to TB. Just that I got home at 9pm + from the airport. Sure there were total fuckups, but the time in between on the island was just awesome.

Till next time Perhentian...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

TB?! who is TB la wei!! went of to perhentians with a chick? oooohh!!

- t ! m s t [o] n e - said...

Lol! that's for me to know Cor. And before you even think of asking... no, there are no hustler stories to tell u :p

Anonymous said...

you're lieing tim. you know you are and just don't want to admit it :P

- t ! m s t [o] n e - said...

oh shut up and stay in Aberdeen :p