Wednesday, May 18, 2005

A Trip Down Memory Lane.

As I lay on my bed browsing through the various magazines I had, thoughts of a person very dear to me suddenly lingered in my mind. Maybe it was because of the songs being played on the radio, perhaps it was because I was feeling in a very sentimental chill out mood, or most probably because I was looking at pictures of girls haha.

Suddenly past memories of my high school days with her come to mind. Funny how it is that we had been in the same school since primary and never really noticed or spoke to each other till we were about 15. I can't recollect how we first got acquainted. Maybe I asked her for some notes, to lend me her eraser or something as she sat behind me in class, but however it was the beginning of a friendship I still value above most I have even today.

We grew into best friends over time. We had each others trust and support, something unthinkable at the time as I was practically a delinquent and she the total opposite. Eventually we started dating. It grew to a point where we were probalby inseperable, and who could blame us. Our school hours were spent together and even after, I'd walk her home most of the time and then visit her again later in the evenings rain or not. Our Saturdays were spent together with or without friends but that never bothered me. All that seemed to matter was that she was there. Soon there were rumors about that we were actually an item. Perhaps that was the case but I don't think we ever made if official. I never needed to tell her how much I adored her. She knew it well enough, such was our understanding of each other.

The next 2 years that followed are probably the fondest memories I have of my school years. We joined the same clubs, went on the same school trips, exchanged gifts and cards, and shared some wonderful times together... and I guess that every one of those memories are sealed somewhere in my memory just because she was there.

As time passed and school was about to come to an end, we decided to just stay friends. We took the decision to live our separate lives as we wanted. I never felt hurt, betrayed or even a bit of anger, because somehow I knew that she was true to her words that we would still be the best of friends. True to her words, it's been about 7 years since then... our meetings have been few and far apart. I still leave her little messages on her birthday, Valentines, Christmas, Hari Raya and the occasional "Hi. How've you been?". And she never fails to respond in the same way she did all those years back.

I sent her a message last night when I thought about her, reminding her that her birthday was coming up as well. She thanked me and simply replied with this...

FRIEND.

F - Finds ways to comfort you.
R - Remembers you always.
I - Inspires you.
E - Enjoys life with someone like you.
N - Never forgets you.
D - Dies for you.

I thanked her for that. Wished her the sweetest of sweet dreams and a pleasant night and likewise from her. I afford her a little smile and go to bed several hours later.

I looked up something earlier today. It was the last card and picture I ever received from her. In the picture there she is, simply beautiful without comparison with a smile so irresistible it could melt anyones heart.

And in the card... something that never fails to make me smile whenever i read it...

Behind the house a garden lies and a tiny table waits,
With coffee cups and bowls of fruit and little raisin cakes.
Down through the years we've stayed close friends though near or far apart,
And you will always have a special place in the garden of my heart.

Your friendship means so much to me.

And at the end of it she wrote... " A friend loves at all times."

From the day that we met till now, she has been true to those words. And I thank her for it.

No comments: